Ongoing History of New Music Daily: The 411 on 311.
Here are some facts about 311 that may have escaped your attention until now.
(1) The band was formed in Omaha in 1988. In the entire time they’ve been together, they’ve had just one line-up change, and that came in 1991. So 30 years without a change in membership.
(2) 311 has their own holiday on the 11th of March—3/11, geddit?—that’s celebrated by fans all over the world.
(3) They’re one of a handful of bands that can fill a cruise ship with fans for days of partying at sea. They’ve done this six times.
(4) They were one of the first bands to have an online presence, starting with a message board back in the 90s.
(5) There are 311 beer and cannabis lines.
(6) their name is taken from the Omaha police code for indecent exposure.
And (7) singer Nick Hexum once had his own island in the Florida Keys.
Check out yesterday’s post on a weird way to break up. And don’t forget to check out my podcast The Ongoing History of New Music where you listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google, Stitcher, or wherever you get your on-demand audio.