When it comes to music sales and streaming numbers, whatever rules applied in the Olden Days are useless during the pandemic. We have to instead focus on what nature has done to the industry. Nielsen/MRC released its weekly stats last night.
Let’s begin with where things were one year ago vs. today.
- Total album sales, -36.9%
- CDs, -52.9%
- Digital albums, -19.9%
- Digital tracks, -26.1%
- Vinyl LPs, -20.8%
- On-demand audio streams, +16.8%
Now let’s go week to week here in 2020. The industry has hit a speedbump.
- Total album sales, -13.8%
- CDs, -12.6%
- Digital albums, -21.0%
- Digital tracks, -6.9%
- Vinyl LPs, +3.7% (More Record Store Day momentum?)
- On-demand audio streams, -1.9% (1.724 billion streams in the country last week)