Westwood One, one of the big distributors of podcasts in the US, has some new figures about podcasts listeners. Here’s the top line:
- The median age of the American podcast listener is 34, younger than any other media. That’s 13 years younger than AM-FM radio and 20 years younger than broadcast TV.
- Americans are spending more time with audio of all sorts every day. On average, American podcast listeners spend 5 hours as 12 minutes a day with audio. Compare that to 3 minutes and 42 seconds of non-podcast listeners.
- Of that time spent with audio, American podcast listeners are into podcasts 30% of the time, followed by AM-FM radio at 22%. Streaming is third at 15%.
- When it comes to spoken word, podcast listeners are twice as likely to listen to news than regular folk and three times as likely to listen to sports and personalities.
- Most podcast listening (60%) occurs at home. The top time of day? Middays (10am-3pm) with 34%. Then comes mornings (6am-10am) with 22% and 3pm-7-pm with 21%.
I wonder how Canadians measure up?