Published on January 23rd, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music New for Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Gin is evil. That’s all I’m going to say about that. Let’s concentrate on music news for January 23, 2018, instead.
- This is weird: There’s a billboard of Notorious B.I.G. featuring a picture of him looking down on his own murder scene.
- RIP former Judas Priest drummer Dave Holland.
- A farewell tour for SLAYER? Say it ain’t so! (Via Tom)
- Canadian album sales so far this year vs. this time in 2017: Total albums, -21%; physical albums, -23.7%; CDs, -27.7%; digital albums, -17.5%; digital tracks, -18.3%; vinyl, +33.5%; streams, +61.5%.
- And there goes the Viceland channel in Canada. Rogers has pulled the plug.
- A radio station in Columbus, Ohio, has switched Christmas music 24/7/365. Kill me now.
- Here are some weird celebrity side gigs.
- Are you one of these Millennials who is into things like a Friends musical?
- How are people listening to audio in 2018? You may be surprised.
- This limited run of acoustic guitars is made from the wood from Jimi Hendrix’s childhood home.
- The smart speaker market is growing faster than the smartphone market in the US.
- How seriously is the BBC taking smart speakers? THIS seriously.
- Of course David Bowie was into blockchain technology when he died…
- Johnny Hallyday was France’s version of Elvis. You can now rent his Caribbean villa.
- Tom Hardy isn’t the only actor with a secret rapping career.
- Why is getting arrested for marijuana possession still a thing? Why is pot a Schedule A drug in America along with heroin and cocaine?
- Shakira has tax problems.
- If you’re an artist on Apple Music, here’s a dashboard you need to use.
- Meanwhile, here’s something YouTube is doing that has been long overdue of artists and songwriters.
- There are four ways Spotify can finally be profitable. None of them are good for artists.