Random music news for Friday, February 17, 2023
You know all those balloons we’ve been shooting down? Ever hear of Project Blue Beam? Once you’re done freaking out at that, move to music news for February 17, 2023.
- U2 is getting USD$10 million to open the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas. Plus 90% of tickets. Plus merch sales. Nice payday, huh? (Via Raven)
- But then there’s everyone else. Touring costs are INSANE, even for big bands.
- Meanwhile, Rihanna reaped some big royalties as a result of her Super Bowl performance.
- And when Rihanna did a photoshoot for Vogue, she insisted on this. Bizarre
- There’s a new documentary on Toronto’s Yorkville scene of the 1960s. Details here.
- Nightmares? Maybe you just need this piano chord.
- Guns N’Roses is sponsoring a NASCAR vehicle.
- Have you noticed that classic rock songs sound faster on TikTok? It’s not your imagination.
- There’s now a dating app designed just for metalheads. Try it out! *BEWARE. It was designed by Steel Panther.
- My people, the Ukrainians, aren’t going to let a littlt Russian invasion stop their music.
- It looks like Apple’s mixed reality headset will be ready for WWDC in June.
- A Spotify series of live concerts? It looks like it’s happening.
- Fun with a cat.
- Napster (the legal one) is jumping into Web3 tech.
- Here’s a list of musicians who sued their own bands.
BONUS: Pretty cool, right?