On this day in 1973, the American League voted to adopt the designated hitter rule. Many purists believe that baseball died that day. Beyond that tidbit, I have these pieces of music news for January 11, 2019.
- A Canadian distributor of vinyl has gone out of business. This could mean shortages and higher prices in the short term.
- Another example of humans being horrible: Following the six-part docu-series on R Kelly’s abuse allegations, streams of his music on streaming services actually went up.
- No, this is not Justin Trudeau performing on an Afghan TV talent show…but damn!
- This is cool: Every location mention in Beatles songs mapped.
- It looks like a guy died of
a snakebiteat a music festival in Australia.
- Fun: A look at the evolution of the iPhone.
- Lady Gaga has pulled her collaboration with R Kelly from everywhere.
- One out of five Americans now owns some kind of smart speaker. And over a million people have pre-ordered the new Echo Auto.
- And Sonos will probably include Google Assistant by the end of the year.
- Sony has this new Bluetooth turntable.
- It appears that listening to the radio in the car is starting to slip thanks to other options.
- The BBC just voted a rapper named Octavian as THE UK musician to watch in 2019.
- A collection of Beatles’ records worth $45,000 has been stolen from a home in Ontario.
- This is like an episode of Ballers: Ice Cube is trying to put together $15 billion to buy Fox Regional Sports networks.