Note to people in the Toronto area: notice how those “temporary” HOV signs are installed in sturdy wood poles? Don’t look too “temporary” to me. What do you think the chances of them coming down after the Parapans are? Yeah, me, too.
Here’s your does of music news for Friday.
- The Gaslight Anthem has announced that they’re taking a break.
- U2 will have two specials on HBO featuring the behind-the-scenes operations of the Innocence + Experience Tour. (Via Michael)
- Meanwhile, U2 was joined on stage in New York by Paul Simon. Here’s some video. (Via Larry)
- Are you a fan of the 33 1/3 series of books on the making of and influence of albums? What albums would you like to see covered in the series? Here’s your chance to offer some input.
- The term “No Pop” is picking up more momentum.
- Your brain has rhythm. Really, it does.
- The REAL revolution in the Middle East has a lot to do with disco. Yes, disco.
- No, Gwyneth Paltrow. Just no.
- This soul band recorded song in prison–35 years ago. Now it’s getting released.
- Notice all the creepy covers in movie trailers lately?
- Here’s a review of upcoming NWA bio-pic.\
- Johnny Marr says that the Japanese music scene is “less weird” than it used to be.
- Anthrax bass player Frank Bello has a new BFF. His name is Justin Bieber. (Via Tom)
- Three more executives at Tidal have bailed.