This pilot was not happy when told he had to divert his plane. This is how he made that known. And here’s what I know about music news for August 7, 2023.
- Former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins, who is serving 29 years for child sex offences, was stabbed in prison. It was some kind of hostage situation. If you don’t know his story, get caught up here.
- Into K-pop? How about a BTS coffin?
- Eight people were hospitalized when someone released a “chemical substance” in a British dancelcub.
- Lizzo has hired Bill Cosby’s lawyer to help her with this workplace harassment lawsuit.
- Meanwhile, her record sales and streams have cratered since the story broke.
- Scandalous! Hanna, Alberta, has removed “The Home of Nickelback” signs.
- Here’s a list of bands that are still going despite not having any original members.
- After U2, who will be the next band to have a residency at the new MSG Sphere? Could be The Eagles.
- Remember when NFTs were a thing? Yeah, about that…
- What’s driving music discovery on Spotify? Read this.
- Noel Gallagher threw another cool insult at his little brother.
- Nicholas Cage’s son is quite the metal dude.
- Canadian music icon Buffy Sainte-Marie is retiring from live performances.
- Amazon Music is now helping 600,000 artists sell merch.
- A third Astroworld lawsuit has been settled.
- You can’t call the Italian prime minister a fascist and not get sued. Right, Placebo?
- Metallica: The band’s official podcast, episode 1.
- The Prince Memorial Highway is now officially a thing.
- I’ve been thinking this same thing ever since I heard about it.
- Like metal and The Simpsons? Read this.
BONUS: Don’t worry, Gen Z. I don’t get Skidibi Toilet, either.
BONUS BONUS: I can’t unhear this. (Via Tom)