Elon Musk’s father just had a second child with his stepdaughter. Wait–what? That would make those kids his direct children as well as step-grandchildren? And they’re Elon’s step-siblings as well as his step-cousins? Have I got that right? My brain hurts. It’s not the kind of thing normal people often think about. Maybe some music news for July 18, 2022.
- The Veld Music Festival in Toronto (July 29-31) is offering a speed dating service.
- TikTok is gaining on YouTube with the young’uns...
- …and now that Beyonce is on TikTok, things are going to blow up even more.
- Brian May of Queen is now a Doctor of Science. Here’s his acceptance speech.
- So how did these rock stars get their nicknames?
- Here’s the story of the woman who gave birth at a Metallica concert.
- Has it been ten years since Psy’s “Gangnam Style?” Yes.
- The top-selling vinyl record of 2022 so far is… “God Save the Queen” by the Sex Pistols? Yep.
- Is Mick Jagger thinking about being an ABBA-like avatar? You bet.
- One of the top-selling albums of 2022 so far is…Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours? Uh-huh.
- GWAR. They rule.
- There’s a new book on the whole New Romantics scene from the early 80s.
- Was this guy the subject of Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know?” Let’s explore that.
- Geddy Lee tells the story of how his parents survived the Holocaust. (Via Leonard)
- By the end of 2023, there will be at least 3,491 different emojis.
- Ten ways the 2010s changed music.
- The Beastie Boys have a new square named in their honour in NYC.
BONUS: I’m not sure what the hell is happening here. (Via Walter)