Random music news for Monday, September 28, 2020
Before get into music news for September 20, 2020, how can this pitch be legal?
- Coronavirus update 1: Some people are very pessimistic about much of the British music scene surviving through the winter.
- Coronavirus update 2: Not music related, but if you want to endure the pandemic, get a dog or a cat or even a fish.
- Chuck D: Not a Donald Trump fan.
- Queen guitarist Brian May says he almost died from a “stomach explosion.”
- This an odd but interestingly retro stereo unit for the house.
- Rush’s Neil Peart has been voted the best prog musician of all time.
- That’s one big hard drive. How many MP3s would this hold?
- RIP Mark Stone, the original bass player for Van Halen.
- Mariah Carey was on a GRUNGE record? Apparently.
- This guy was hurt stagediving at a hardcore show. He just won US$2 million.
- TikTok: Still not banned in the US.
- A good read: The real difference between rap and hip-hop.
- Dub. It was very important to UK music in the late 70s.
- If you were in Prince’s band and you made a mistake, you paid for it.
One thought on “Random music news for Monday, September 28, 2020”
This topic is oddly relevant to me as I happen to like some old school rap. I don’t like what I could call (new) rap or hip-hop but if the article is accurate, I would, apparently, like hip-hop?
I saw an article (probably here) about Depeche Mode getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in November (?) and I wanted to see if they were going to BE THERE. I wasn’t about to get a subscription to a streaming cable channel otherwise. This led me to a site that led me to You Tube clips where I found out, to my great (for both!) delight and astonishment, that Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were inducted a handful of years ago. They are one of my faves and I am beyond gobsmacked that the HOF had/has such diversity. Unfortunately, youtube only had clips but if that’s all I get, then that’s all I get. I was beyond elated for those 30 minutes of watching (x2).
I never did find out about DM or how much airtime they were going to get. I think I decided it would be best to ignore that I ever heard about it and not watch it and hope for some clip or clips at a later date.