This will be the year we beat the pandemic, right? Right? And against all odds, there IS music news for January 1, 2022.
- Maybe 2022 will be the year Phil Collins will stop hating Paul McCartney’s guts. But probably not.
- Dionne Warwick is in a Twitter fight with…Oreo cookies?
- This may already be the greatest headline of 2022: “Katy Perry ‘lactates’ beer then drinks it as she kicks off spectacular Las Vegas residency.” The stage show also features a giant toilet.
- Some 400,000 songs recorded before 1923 slip into the public domain today.
- When he died, Meatloaf’s musical partner Jim Steinman had been working on a musical about Batman. The demos are still on his website.
- When Prince Phillip died, British radio stations made sharp transitions to the announcement. Some of them are kind of funny in their awkwardness.
- On the same subject, The BBC’s coverage of Prince Philip’s death (which was very extensive and intense) generated over 100,000 complaints to Ofcom, the British broadcasting regulator. That was nearly twice the number for previous record holder, Jerry Springer: The Opera. (Via Popbitch)
- When Prince met Eddie Van Halen.
- Here are eight ways musicians can make more money this year.
- Here’s what it’s like to eat at Mom’s Spaghetti, Eminem’s restaurant in Detroit.
- Things at a Phish concert can apparently get very weird very quickly.
- Are you still using a classic BlackBerry smartphone? Support for all those devices is now done.
BONUS: Well, this is an interesting new development in television technology.
More news? Check here.