When is a tank not a tank? When Ukraine classifies them as “recreational vehicles.” On to music news for January 20, 2022.
- RIP Van Conner, co-founder of Seattle band Screaming Trees.
- RIP Bruce Gowers, a pioneering director of music videos including Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.”
- Lisa Marie Presley’s grave is being readied at Graceland.
- Twitter is having trouble paying the bills because over 500 advertisers have bailed on the platform since Elon took over.
- George Santos, Republican congressman (aka the lying liar who lies), once performed in Brazilian drag shows using the name “Kitara.”
- Even the Kardashians can’t understand Kanye’s new marriage.
- The Michael Jackson big screen biopic will start production in 2024. We already know how it ends.
- Streaming fraud: It’s snowballing.
- The US Senate will hold a hearing on the Taylor Swift-Ticketmaster debacle on January 24. (My take? It’s political grandstanding. Nothing will come of this.)
- Apple just announced a brand new HomePod.
- Looking for interesting and unique band merch? Try The Guitarwrist. (Via Tom)
- Diggy Stardust [sic] is at work.
- Rapper Flo Rida is getting US$82.6 million in a settlement with Celsius, the energy drink company.
- A very metal gift: Jewelry made from Iron Maiden guitar strings.
- SAS Rogue Heroes is a great WWII series on Amazon Prime. Part of what makes it great is the soundtrack with music from across the decades.
- This was a very, very bad day for the Sex Pistols in 1978.
BONUS: Having trouble understanding four-dimensional space? This video could help.