Random music news for Thursday, April 27, 2023
Hot new trend: Reading obituaries on YouTube. A continuing trend: reporting on music news. Here’s what’s happening on April 27, 2023.
- If you get suckered into Fyre Festival Part 2, you get exactly what you deserve.
- Spotify has confirmed that it’s working with labels to push back on weird AI-created material.
- A Spotify price increase? Maybe soon.
- Metallica’s 72 Seasons album saw a launch on Roblox. It got 21 million visits in three days.
- Metallica has released all the videos from the album in American sign language. They’re apparently the first rock band to do this.
- This might be a first by a famous band, too: Duran Duran is musing the release of a Halloween album.
- Beatly Music could be the AI version of The Pirate Bay. Here’s why.
- And why are women so under-represented in the world of music producers?
- Remember Crazy Town? How are things going with them? Oh.
- “Free Billie Eilish?” From what, dude?
- Freddie Mercury’s “collection of splendid things” is going up for auction.
- Roger Waters won a legal battle to play in Germany despite accusations of antisemitism.
- Interesting: The business behind Coachella.
- “The End of the Music Industry.” Discuss.
- Yes, Frankie Goes to Hollywood is back for the first time in 36 years.
- This company is betting big on Bollywood music.
- Post Malone + birthday party + flamethrower = A visit from the cops.
BONUS: Are you musically gifted or tone deaf? Take this test. (Via Rick J)