Published on August 20th, 2015 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Thursday, August 20, 2015
I have a new word that you need to incorporate into your vocabulary: kummerspeck. It’s German and refers to the weight you gain when you overeat for emotional reasons. It translates as–and I’m not making this up–“grief bacon.” Learn more wonderful non-English words here. WARNING: This list may turn you into a pochemuchka that may earn you a reputation as a backpfeifengesicht.
And now, the music news.
- Why musicians and music videos may be among the first casualties as a result of the upcoming rule changes for Canadian cable TV channels.
- Another plea for the music industry to get its data analytics shit together.
- Disturbed is back. Here’s a review of their new album. (Via Blind Gordie)
- Vancouver’s D.O.A. isn’t, um, dead after all. Joe Shithead and crew is back with a new album called Hard Rain Falling.
- How Beats 1’s DJs are “reinventing radio.”
- So Bono and Borat go into a bar…and they meet up with Noel Gallagher. I know it sounds like the set-up to a joke, but it’s not. (Via Larry)
- Motorhead is set to be honoured by the City of Los Angeles. Wait–what?
- This Jimmy Buffet gig was a shit show. An actual shit show.
- Could we see Dave Grohl directing…TV commercials?
- Jamiroquai and the stalker.
- Want to talk or sing like Stephen Hawking?
- There’s a probably at Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum in LA. Male visitor keep humping the Nicki Minaj wax figure. (Via Tom)
- How Tinder is killing the club scene. Talk about an unintended consequence of technology…
- Death Cab for Cutie’s Facebook page was hacked–with some interesting consequences. This could be considered…educational. I guess.
- Interesting: The Modern Sky Festival based out of China, will stage an event at Central Park in NYC on October 4. The bill includee Ariel Pink, Black Lips and–ahem–Gang of Four.