Published on February 19th, 2015 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Thursday, February 19, 2015
On this day in 1878, Thomas Edison received a patent (no, 200,521) for his new talking machine called “the phonograph.” Within a decade, the commercialization of recorded music had begun. Think about that if you listen to any recorded music today.
- Nicki Minaj’s tour manager was stabbed to death in a bar fight in Philadelphia.
- There are changes afoot with the iTunes Music Store. Record industry execs are not happy.
- Here’s some really rare, really cool footage of Bob Marley.
- How data will save music. Apparently.
- What a waste of eggs: the Justin Bieber Comedy Central Roast promo. (Via a bunch of people.)
- Tenacious D gets theirs (sort of) from Machine Head.
- Vanilla Ice has been arrested for burglary. How’s that for reality TV? (Via Tom)
- English song lyrics are amongst the most miserable form of writing in the world. Science says so.
- Bloody Fifty Shades of Grey…
- Well, this will get religious types in Britain all flustered.
- Anyone want to see some un-retouched photos of Beyonce?
- The frontman for Taking Back Sunday has been arrested on a DUI charge.
- Despite being dead for decades, Jimi Hendrix is still putting out albums.
- Speaking of dead people, Amy Winehouse is still doing very well on the financial front, thank you.
- Weird Al: music trivia champion.
- I guess Afroman got high.
- There’s a new movie starring Willie Nelson that’s been produced by Bono. No, really. (Via Larry)
- The Foo Fighters will headline Friday night at Glastonbury this year.
- So what exactly do Apple Stores have in mind for their next incarnation?