A COVID vaccine in a pill? We could be close to one. Consider that as we go through music news for July 29, 2021.
- Adele has accepted an offer to do a residency in Las Vegas. She’ll allegedly be paid £100,000 a night.
- Queens of the Stone Age has pulled out of Reading and Leeds. Sounds like it was too complicated to get there with COVID.
- Mark Hoppus of blink-182 picked up a bass for the first time since his cancer diagnosis.
- Lil Uzi Vert has re-implanted that US$24 million diamond in his forehead.
- Extreme hot weather is ruining shipments of vinyl records.
- The legal action between Johnny Lydon and the rest of the Sex Pistols is ugly.
- Movie director John Waters: “Country music made me gay.”
- Corey Taylor of Slipknot: Anyone who goes to concerts without being vaccinated “is a f*’ ***hole.” Yep.
- Instagram’s Reels now supports 60-second videos.
- How to spot fake music data.
- In the second quarter of 2021, YouTube’s advertising revenue grew 84% to US$7 billion.
- Meanwhile, Apple blew away all expections with their Q2 report.
- And WOW, did Universal make a lot of money in the first half of 2021. Streaming revenue was up by almost 30%.
- Another musician is suffering from hearing problems.
- An album from a band from my youth in Winnipeg has finally made it to CD after 40 years. It’s The Pumps and the Gotta Move album.
- New! Jack White Art and Design. (Via Mike)
BONUS: I was a guest on the Social Animals podcast. Listen here.
More news? Check here.