Published on June 7th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Thursday, June 7, 2018
The death of Kate Spade is really bothering me. As with Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington, we have no idea who might be suffering terribly. As for music news on June 7, 2018.
- Canadian music sales vs. last year at this time: Total albums, -18.9%; digital albums, -23.1%; CDs, -20.8%; physical albums, -16.1%; vinyl, +68.9%(!!!); streaming, +54%.
- Sonos has a new all-in-one smart speaker called Sonos Beam. Looks cool.
- Bonarroo will stink a lot less this year for a very good reason. Free underwear for all!
- Blues star Billie Holiday is going to get the biopic treatment from Lee Daniels.
- Spotify sent the FCC some paperwork that seems to indicate that it’s working on some kind of hardware. A smart speaker?
- Speaking of Spotify, what went wrong with their “hateful content” policy?
- A new report says that streaming revenues will completely dominant by 2022. And radio revenues will also continue to rise.
- Apparently, animals are having conversations all around us. What are they talking about?
- Let’s call this the “Eye of the Tiger” lawsuit.
- Speaking of legal action, this dance artist is annoyed that his ex-management company is redirecting his old domain to a porn site.
- The BBC is closing their storied Maida Vale location. Some pretty cool recordings were made there.
- Facebook has a new feature that goes right after Musical.ly that includes lip syncing. And there’s more.
- Dave Grohl says that Nirvana was “like a loud, distorted version of Monty Python.” Maybe, except for the way it ended. (Via Tom)
- A good and necessary Pride Month conversation: The problems of homophobia in the music industry.
- Have a pair of Apple AirPods? Here’s a cool new feature that we’ll soon be able to use.
- The goal of this New Zealand radio station is to put listeners to sleep.
- Green Day’s documentary of East Bay punk is now available for sale.
- Music continues to have an enormous mental health problem. It needs fixing. Now.
- The house Jagged Little Pill helped build is up for sale.
- Are these the most iconic guitars of all time?
- Opera and classical music companies are being targeted by thieves in the UK.