George Carlin had something to say about the current abortion situation in America. Anyone else miss him a lot? Let’s try music news for May 5, 2022.
- Drake has signed a deal with Universal Music worth a reported US$400 million. Wow.
- Meanwhile, Justin Bieber has been banned by Ferrari from buying or driving any of its cars for being such a jerk.
- Pearl Jam paid tribute to Taylor Hawkins at the opening of their Gigaton tour in San Diego.
- Facebook says they’re done with podcasting. But were they ever really into it?
- Define “Canadian.” I dare you.
- Kanye West is being sued by a Texas pastor over an uncleared sample.
- Want to know what it’s like to be a big-time band manager? Read this.
- “What’s the true purpose of the pop music documentary?” Discuss.
- On that topic, there’s going to be a Cyndi Lauper documentary soon.
- And this looks good: A multi-episode documentary on the rise of alt-rock in the 90s.
- This violin could see for US$20 million at auction.
- RIP Canadian guitarist Walter Rossi.
- Universal music had a KILLER Q1. Streaming revenues were up US$1.35 billion, which is a year-over-year increase of 14.6%.
- A climate change conference in London is going to be hosted by…Billie Eilish.
- Related to that is a new app from Coldplay that will help fans reduce their carbon footprint as they travel to their shows.
- Good one, Joan Jett.
BONUS: These books are literally poison.