Published on September 6th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Thursday, September 6, 2018
Off to Vancouver today to cover the Skookum Festival. I just have time to report on some music news for September 6, 2018.
- Donald Trump ran for president because he was jealous of Gwen Stefani. Wait–what?
- You know that plane from Dubai that landed at JFK yesterday with all the sick passengers? Vanilla Ice was onboard.
- The next version of Apple Watch could have an “always-on” mode.
- Got an Amazon Alexa smart speaker? It will now answer questions about concerts. For example, as it “Alexa, is Metallica on tour?”
- Actor Ethan Hawke has founded a new record label with a weirdly cool name.
- Atomic radio? What’s that? This. (Via Andrew)
- Speaking of radio, BBC 3 plans to broadcast 30 minutes of relaxation sounds.
- A GWAR bar? Yes–but first, they plan to destroy the old one.
- Here’s the story of the first time Yoko joined The Beatles in the studio for the first time.
- Demi Lovato is selling the house in which she recently ODed.
- Hardcore video gamers will get a kick out of this Van Halen reference. (Via Tom)
- A fake promoter who promised the Red Hot Chili Peppers to play a gig is going to jail for two years.
- Having trouble writing a hit? Maybe AI can help.
- This drummer lost a leg in a bus accident three years ago. Now he’s back to playing double kicks at almost 100%. Great story!
- The story of The Orwells, a band who had their sexual abuses reputation catch up with them.
- A rare neurological condition gave this woman a French accent–but it disappears when she sings.
- What, exactly, is “unconscious plagiarism?” This.
- Should K-pop bands be exempt from mandatory military service? There’s a big debate about that.
- Slash owes his wife $6 million in a divorce settlement.