On this day in 1910, the Boston Arena opened. It’s still open, making it the oldest hockey rink still in universe. Moving to music news for April 16, 2019…
- Weekly Canadian music sales and streaming stats vs. this time in last year: Total album sales, -20.5%; CDs, -25.2%; digital albums, -18.2%; digital tracks, -29.8%; vinyl LPs, +4.1%; on-demand audio streaming: +38.8% (1.431 billion streams in the country last week).
- Universal Music is now generating US$10 million a day from streaming.
- Simon Cowell’s mansion has a gay ghost.
- Did you notice the Ed Sheeran reference in the season premiere of Game of Thrones?
- Oh, Morrissey. Well, this is typical of him, innit?
- A new radio format: All military music all the time.
- This could be an indication of where things are going with radio in the car.
- Toronto’s El Mocambo is finally ready to reopen after a reported $17 million renovation. It’s just waiting for all the liquor board and other permits.
- If you’re the kind of person who might want to share what music you’re listening to with Instagram, try NoiseHub.
- And then there’s Festify, which turns your
favouriteSpotify artists into a music festival-type thingy.
- Raves and robots.
- Want to name a newly discovered species after your
favouritemusician? You can do that now–but it’ll cost you.
- Fun: Police notes from the time The Beatles visited the US in 1964.
- Another forgotten Canadian hard rock band from the past: THOR.
- And yet another: Gypsy Rose.