Published on December 4th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Tuesday, December 4, 2018
I understand why people back into parking spaces at the mall, but when it’s crowded and busy during the holiday shopping season–well, I think you know where I’m going with this. Meanwhile, in music news for December 4, 2018…
- Weekly Canadian music sales and streams from last week vs. this time in 2017: Total albums, -22.1%; digital albums, -19.6%; digital tracks, -23.15%; physical albums, -23.6%; CDs, -27.2%; vinyl albums, +25.4%; audio streams, +38.5% (1.260 billion on-demand audio streams last week).
- Still with Canadian music sales, vinyl LPs are up 54% from last week (40,200 copies vs. 26,100). It looks like it’s going to be a really good season for vinyl.
- The REAL story behind David Bowie’s famous Ziggy Stardust haircut goes like this.
- The Grammy nominations announcement has been delayed until Friday to accommodate the memorial service for George H.W. Bush.
- Ever wonder where the term “420” really came from? And no, it has nothing to do with Bob Marley. But there may be a Grateful Dead connection. The story here.
- Yes, people still bootleg vinyl.
- Want a piece of Frank Sinatra? There’s an auction happening.
- A fan died at a Bring Me the Horizon Show. The investigation continues.
- A lot of acts are being pressured to cancel any gigs they’ve got booked in Saudi Arabia.
- It appears that a new radical feature may soon appear on iPhones.
- Muhammad Ali, the musical. You read that correctly.
- Here’s how the music industry is selling out classical music.
- This looks like it might be an interesting book: The Final Days Of EMI: Selling the Pig.
- This video just turned 35. Note the number of views and comments.
- Here’s your weirdo mashup of the day: Ozzy/Marvin Gaye & Tammy Terrell/The Four Tops. (Via Tom)
- Argue over this: the 12 best alternative guitarists in the world today.
- Bono has a speaking engagement in Chicago coming up where he’ll talk about the war on AIDS in Africa,
- There’s a new documentary about Brian Wilson in the works.
- These cowbells have caused this German couple to slip into depression.
- The BBC had a chance to sit down with Muse for an interview.
- China’s Tencent has launched a $1.2 billion US IPO.
- “Phones at gigs can be annoying – but they must never be banned.” Discuss.