This is odd. The number of twins being born has hit a record high. Why? Ponder that while you check out music news for March 16, 2021.
- The TV ratings for the Grammy Awards dropped by HALF from 2020.
- An important read: How the digitized world changed music forever. (Via Phil)
- Despite COVID-19, the global music business grew by US$1.5 billion in 2020.
- Some politicians in Minnesota want to name a highway after Prince. Why not?
- I missed this with the Academy Awards nominations: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are up for TWO Oscars.
- Fun timesuck: How many anagrams can be made from the name of your favourite musician? For Paul McCartney, it’s 8,435. For John Lennon, it’s zero. What? (Via Paul)
- The Aphex Twin just sold some NFT artwork for US$128,000.
- Wow, this is awful: A 1972 Richard Nixon campaign song.
- This app allows you to play five classic synths on your phone.
- Spotify has taken down Ian Brown’s anti-lockdown song.
- The RIAA has launched some takedown notices against Spotify, Deezer, and Apple Music. Wait–what?
- Robots are now coming for rappers. See?
- This is good: The A-Z of music marketing.
- These guitars are real. But should they be?
BONUS: This three-storey monster was up at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto over the weekend.