Productivity in America will plummet today as people take an extra-long 4th of July weekend. But there’s still music news for July 3, 2019.
- Vladimir Putin’s reaction to Russia’s censorship of the gay sex scenes in Rocketman: “Yeah, so?“
- Good. In fact, I am very okurr with this.
- Alexa smart speakers are about to get a little smarter.
- Diana Ross filmed her 75th birthday concert back on March 19. Then she lost the hard drive with all the footage.
- Long read: Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Trends Report for the Music Business.
- Here’s another look at the impact of the 2008 Univeral fire, which is the biggest music industry story of the year so far. Or is it?
- There’s a new documentary on the band that included Ben Stiller when he was a teenager.
- Who wants to play the part of Elvis? A lot of people, apparently.