Published on July 8th, 2016 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Friday, July 8, 2016
On this day in 1932, the Dow Jones hit 41.22, its lowest level ever. Today it’s up at around 18,000. And now, some music news.
- Randy Bachman is selling his Washington State summer retreat for $4.4 million. Nice pile.
- Here’s a mid-year report on the music business in the US.
- Things are tight and getting tighter for middle-class musicians.
- Spotify says it now has 35 million subscribers and growing faster than ever…
- …so could that mean we’re we close to the end of Spotify’s “freemium” tier? Maybe.
- Here’s a fun musical Six Degrees of Separation game. (Via Andrew)
- Rdio may be dead, but there’s a lawsuit and counter-lawsuit between them and Sony.
- Are you a British online pirate? You could now face up to 10 years in jail if you’re caught.
- U2 has a gig in San Francisco in October and it costs $1,799 to get in. But you need to know the whole story. (Via Larry)
- YouTube + Podcasts = The Future? We’ll see.
- Dave Navarro is getting a special award for his work raising awareness of the problem of domestic violence.
- If Cliff Williams retires from AC/DC, who’s left? Angus and…?
- There’s a petition against Apple and the company’s infamous forced upgrade death march.
- This definitely doesn’t make me nostalgic for the cassette.
- Kurt Cobain’s ex-son-in-law won’t give Frances back her dad’s ultra-famous guitar.
- Bon Jovi showed up unannounced at a wedding. If it were my party, I’d have kicked him out. But that’s just me.