It was on January 22, 1984, that this commercial ran once. It was during Super Bowl XVIII. It’s still one of the most famous commercials ever.
And now, some music news.
- Dolores O’Riordan’s funeral is scheduled for the Church of St Ailbe in Ballybricken, Co Limerick, on Tuesday. It will be very quiet and family-only.
- A group of mourners gathered in Ireland to remember Dolores.
- Dolores’ boyfriend posted this tribute.
- Jim Rodford, who played bass with the Zombies, the Kinks and Argent, is dead at the age of 76 after a fall at his home.
- Tom Petty’s home in LA is up for sale. It’s very nice.
- And Rod Stewart is selling this 26-acre pile.
- A bunch of North Korean pop stars toured through South Korean Olympic sites ahead of the two countries’ joint appearance. This will be interesting.
- Monday timesuck: a run through some cool cover songs.
- Chris Martin is going to be the best man when Gwyneth Paltrow remarries.
- A great look back at the recording of the Rollings Stones’ Exile on Main Street.
- And Simon and Garfunkel’s soundtrack to The Graduate turns 50 this year. Here’s a story on that.
- Sting is in talks to play the tailgate party at the Super Bowl.
- John Fogerty has a problem with the movie Proud Mary.
- And still speaking of movies, Netflix is determined to turn the Motley Crue bio The Dirt into a movie.
- Have you noticed a subtle back-to-basics approach in some areas of music? I like it.
- And here’s Will.i.am’s take on sexism in the music industry. He’s not wrong.
- The polka king Ponzi scheme. Wait–what?