Published on July 18th, 2016 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Monday, July 18, 2016
An observation: In most of the world, a “lone wolf” is someone who commits a horrendous terrorist act. In Canada, it means an opera singer who changes the words of “O Canada.” I’d rather live here, thanks. And now, the music news…
- “The remainder of 2016 has been cancelled.”
- Guns ‘N Roses almost didn’t make it into Canada for their Toronto show this weekend because someone in the entourage had a gun.
- I know you were waiting for this: Chris Martin and Gwyneth’s Paltrow’s divorce is now official.
- NASA says its next Mars rover–scheduled for 2020–will include a microphone. What will it hear on Mars? (Via Peter)
- Great Monday timesuck: “The strange origins of familiar sounds.” (Via Tom)
- The five best and worst Olympic anthems.
- Did Michael Jackson want to marry an 11-year-old? The doctor who presided over his death thinks so.
- Tom Morello: “Dangerous times demand dangerous songs.”
- And on that note, could we be entering another era of loud angry music? I bloody well hope so.
- Motley Crue’s Vince Neil has been sued by a woman for assault.
- Here’s an interesting look at punk rock in Africa. You don’t normally put “punk” and “Africa” together, do you? (That’s Tom again.)
- Do bees have regional accents? (Not really a music item, but just too weird to leave out.)
- Celebrity emojis? A big deal these days.
- Elton John just lost an important court battle over a sex harassment case.