Published on November 18th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Saturday, November 18, 2017
On this day in 1963, the first push-button telephone went into service. And in music news for November 18…
- The Tragically Hip was officially appointed to the Order of Canada yesterday. (Gord received his pin back in the summer.)
- Here’s a quick history of Black Friday (infographic).
- Another smart speaker is on the market, this time from China’s Baidu.
- Tidal’s apps can now directly control your SONOS system.
- If you’re a financial wonk, here’s how things could look for Spotify when it comes to their IPO.
- Is this is the future of the game show?
- Jack White’s Third Man Records now has its own version of Beats headphones.
- The Weeknd earned $92 million US in the last year. Wow.
- Drake has a new deal with a cryptocurrency company.
- Smart: There’s a Toronto seminar for music industry people on dealing with overdose prevention. Register here.
- Can music be rock’n’roll without guitars? This article says “yes.”
- Neil Young seems to have seen the light on streaming, especially when it comes to his archives.
- Pearl Jam’s Let’s Play Two documentary/concert film is now available on DVD and Blu-ray.
- This Tom Petty lakeside house is for sale. Interested? Go here.
- Someone stole a 19th-century violin from a home in Montreal.
- Here are seven music legends that were brought back from the dead.
- Here’s a list of super-weird cover bands.