Random Music News for Saturday, September 10, 2016
At least I think it’s Saturday. I started writing this post after a 15-hour flight from Toronto to Taipei. Good wifi at the airport, though. Here’s some music news.
- You know those new wireless Apple Airpods? Could they be as dangerous to your brain as the radiation some doctors say come from cell phones?
- And speaking of Apple, “iPhone 7” can translate as “iPhone Penis” if you get the Chinese intonation wrong.
- Noel Gallagher’s price for an Oasis reunion: $50 million USD. (Via Greggory)
- Bono penned an excellent essay on the global refugee crisis.
- Spotify’s IPO will be one of the most-watched events during this financial year. But when will it happen?
- Why did Guns ‘N Roses finally reunite? I’ll give you 132,000,000 reasons–and counting.
- Eurovision will be held in Kiev this year–unless Russian rebels roll in with the tanks, of course.
- Another album milestone: REM’s New Adventures in HiFi turns 20.
- Some interesting music history: How the Beatles invented the idea of girls freaking out over a boy band.
- And speaking of which, 6% of the population of Iceland turned out to see Justin Bieber.
- Turns out one of the kids from the Netflix series Stranger Things is a pretty good singer.
- AC/DC pinball has adopted VR. Cool.
- Our man in space (and the most musical astronaut ever conceived) is at it again, this time with Yes’ Rick Wakeman involving a David Bowie cover.
- Here’s a great story about Freddie Mercury when he was in a band at age 12. (Via Warren).
- Coldplay just landed a prestigious gig in India.