Random Music News for Thursday, April 27, 2017
It was on this day in 1981 that Xerox PARC introduced a new computer controller device they called a “mouse,” ushering a new era of user interfaces and carpal tunnel syndrome. And now, the music news for April 27.
- Sad: This is the last week of shows at Toronto’s Silver Dollar before it closes for good.
- Iggy Pop has presented with France’s highest cultural award. He’s now a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters. Just like his old friend David Bowie. And Bruce Willis.
- A bunch of musicians won Webby Awards for their videos.
- Did a Bieber bodyguard commit a hate crime?
- If you look at streaming numbers, Drake is the biggest recording artist in the world.
- Gracenote, the music metadata identifier, is now in over 100 million cars.
- In a throwback to about 1968, Mattel has issued Beatles-themed Hot Wheels.
- In reunion news, look for the (brief) return of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.
- Spotify has bought a blockchain company that will match royalties with rightsholders.
- This Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack promotion with Doritos is pretty cool.
- The Labyrinth soundtrack (featuring David Bowie) is finally getting a vinyl reissue.