My wife: “The women’s beach volleyball teams play in bikinis?” Me: “Yes.” My wife: “And the men are in shorts and tank tops?” Me: “Uh, yeah.” My wife: “Well, that’s not right, is it?”
And now, the music news.
- Looking for some truly insane music? Try Japan’s “visual kei” scene.
- New Order beer. I’d have preferred Joy Division ale.
- About those stories about Apple stopping the sale of music downloads through iTunes in South Korea: Turns out that because of weird rightsholders agreements, iTunes downloads have never been available in South Korea. Oh. But you understand the confusion, right?
- Have you noticed the increase in drug deaths at music festivals this year? It’s not your imagination.
- No wonder then a big touring conference will focus on security issues.
- An interesting look at the business of background music.
- And here’s an interesting look back at the music industry by a long-time insider. (I actually once had a chance to visit Stuart Watson at his home in Phuket. Great dude.)
- Ozzy has been sued by a former bass player over songwriting royalties.
- You know why so many artists are willing to appear on Carpool Karaoke? Because the gimmick boosts sales of songs.
- Pat Benetar’s life is being made into a musical for Broadway.
- This new hip hop series called The Get Down is getting bad reviews just like Vinyl.
- Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi says his cancer is in remission. Great news.