Published on March 3rd, 2016 | by Alan Cross1
Random Music News for Thursday, March 3, 2016
It was 25 years ago today that Rodney King got his beating from LA cops. It was a dark time. And now, music news.
- MapleMusic is no more. Please refer to them as Cadence Music Group.
- Did anyone else notice that a member of Black Flag won an Oscar on Sunday? Missed that one…
- Here’s another Oscar note: Rob Zombie was tackled by security because they thought a homeless man was trying to get in.
- Spotify has a new music discovery tool called “Fresh Finds” that looks like it might be useful.
- A new company in Hollywood is going to help Bono give away his money.
- It looks like Kanye West is a secret user of The Pirate Bay.
- The keynote speakers at SXSW this year? Barack and Michelle Obama. (Via Larry)
- Fiddy sells his house.
- BC’s Squamish Valley Music Festival has been cancelled for 2016. Blame the low loonie? (Via Danny)
- Bob Dylan sold off 6,000 personal items in a massive decluttering. Collectors are freaking out.
- Twitter fun: Cher vs. The National Enquirer
- Lorne Michaels to the rescue of Kanye West. Man, it’s tough to defend this guy.
- Guns ‘N Roses is taking Alice in Chains on tour with them. A good bill.
- Deezer is coming to Windows 10 A little late, maybe?
- Meanwhile, Rhapsody is burning through $3 million losses per month.
- Interesting: the black power revolution in music.