Published on January 30th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Tuesday, January 30, 2018
On this day in 1969, the Beatles performed together in public for the last time on the roof of the Apple Corps building in London. Here’s what’s happening on January 30, 2018.
- Ratings for the Grammy Awards? Awful. Down 20%.
- The Grammys just don’t get it. Is this the most tone-deaf response to the gender gap we’ve ever heard?
- Canadian music sales vs. this time last year: Total albums, -18,9%; digital albums, -16.6%; digital tracks, -17%; physical albums, -20.7%; CDs, -25%; vinyl, +43.4%(!!!), streams, +61.7%.
- Music streaming revenue jumped 53% in 2017.
- Another thing that’s killing AM radio: interference from LED headlights.
- Drake’s new single, “God’s Plan” was streamed 14 million times its first day on Apple Music. It got 60 million streams over the weekend. That’s a record.
- Katy Perry has cryptocurrency fingernails.
- Amy Lee of Evanescence was awarded a big settlement in a fight with an ex-manager.
- There’s another downside to the drop in recorded music sales. Artists have to perform live more often, and it’s destroying their voices.
- This Toronto astrophysicist has found a way to present the music of the cosmos. Nerdy but super-cool!
- According to Apple’s podcast analytics, podcasts are definitely A Thing now.
- Adam Levine is selling half his mansions.
- Comparing the walled gardens of Google and Amazon to Apple.
- If you’re on your way to Cambodia, try to remember not to “dance pornographically like these Canadians allegedly did.
- Let drummer Chad Smith take you through this classic Red Hot Chili Peppers video.
- The war over unreleased Prince music continues.
- Good advice: How to properly promote your music using hashtags.
- Why you should still be buying digital downloads.