Published on June 28th, 2016 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Terry Fox died 35 years ago today. And moving to music news…
- The Chili Peppers’ The Getaway debuted at #1 on the SoundScan sales chart in the US with sales of 108,000 copies. Radiohead’s A Moon Shaped Pool was second with 46,000.
- July 20 will be Motorhead Day in London in recognition of the date of the band’s debut gig at the Roundhouse in Camden. Make sure you buy a card.
- Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA has teamed up with Atari to make video game music.
- If you’re a fan of WhatsApp like me, you’ll be interested to know that Apple Music integration is coming.
- Shirley Manson of Garbage wants everyone to know that Scotland wants nothing to do with Donald Trump.
- The dates for Canadian Music Week have changed again. The dates for 2017 will be April 18-22.
- This is delicious: Suge Knight (who’s in jail) has sued Chris Brown (who will end up there one day) over a club shooting.
- I can’t make up my mind if this cover of Adele’s “Send my Love” is cool or ridiculous. (Via Danny)
- Fun! A gallery featuring pictures of music stars before they were famous.
- Someone counted Adele’s cursing during her Glastonbury set: 33 times. That works out to one swear jar offence every 2.7 minutes. LOVE this woman!
- Ricky Gervais’ The Office character David Bent will release some new music this week. Prepare to cringe.
- Earth shattering hockey news: my buddy Andy Frost is out as the PA announcer for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The team has had just three PA guys in their 99 years. Meanwhile, my other buddy, George Stroumboulopoulos is out at Hockey Night in Canada along with at least a dozen other staffers.
- Vinyl sales are still running about 39% ahead of last year.
- A shirt with John Lennon’s blood on it sold at auction for $41,000 USD.