Published on March 14th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Ugh. Snow. Lots of it. I say again: Ugh. Oh, and happy (merry?) Pi Day. And now, the music news…
- Canadian album sales are pacing at -12.4% this year, with the biggest problem digital albums (-26%). Meanwhile, vinyl is at +7.6% over last year–nice, but growth has slowed quite a bit. On-demand audio streams are up 99.3%.
- Attention Nickelback haters: The band’s 2005 album, All the Right Reasons, has been certified Diamond (i.e. sales of 10 million copies in America) by the RIAA.
- Do NOT ask this guy for an Amy Winehouse tattoo.
- George Michael’s mansion will go to his sister.
- Canadian pianist Chilly Gonzales and Jarvis Cocker of Pulp have a new project–and it’s kinda weird.
- I have a Sonos system and I love it. If you have one, read this.
- Footage of the Beatles from 1958 has emerged.
- A new Russian art exhibit includes prawn sex.
- Metallica is taking a hip hop artist–DJ Mixmaster Mike–on the road with them this year.
- Jack White has Bob Dylan painted on his bowling bowl. Wait–what?
- Here’s another look at Anchor, which claims to be on the road to reinventing the radio format. (Via Andrew)
- This is a summary of awkward stage entrances (And yes, U2’s lemon is mentioned).
- A Madonna stalker is suing the NYPD for $5 million. Here’s why.
- Strike Sigur Ros from Donald Trump’s iPod.
- Facebook is annoying Ed Sheeran because it keeps taking down fan covers of his songs.
- Tuning your brain like a radio for a better memory.