Published on May 9th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Tuesday, May 9, 2017
It was on this day that The Pill was approved for use in the US. That didn’t change society much, did it? And now, the music news for May 9.
- Total album sales in Canada are down 16% from this point last year. Physical sales are at -8.6% while digital album sales are softer by 25.5%(!!!). Vinyl is down about 11% (hmm…) while on-demand audio streams are up 94.1%.
- Gorillaz’s Humanz had a nice debut on the American album charts, entering at #1 with 115,00 pure sales. And a deluxe version is coming featuring 14 (!!!) vinyl discs.
- There are now six pending lawsuits against the organizers of the Fyre Festival. One describes the whole thing as a Ponzi scheme.
- Chicago’s Trump Tower to be covered
- There’s a petition for an Australian sports team to stop using Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” at games in favour of something “more relevant.”
- This band torched their own tour bus.
- Looking forward to a Tool album or (at the very least) a new A Perfect Circle record? Um, about that…
- Michael Jackson predicted he would be murdered just before he died. Hmm…
- Live streaming: Is it dangerous?
- And so it begins with Harry Styles and a NYC apartment.
- Well, here’s a similarity between musicians and cavemen that no one saw coming. And here it is again.
- Got an Android phone? Is it spying on you?
- A cogent explanation for what you can’t get that song out of your head. Earworm science!
- No one could have foreseen 40 years ago how respectable LA punk would become.
- Warner is now making $100 million a month from streaming.
- Attention molly fans…