Published on August 30th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Wednesday, August 30, 2017
The famous hotline between Washington and Moscow went into operation on this day in 1963. Seems quaint now, doesn’t it? Trump can just email his bro Putin anytime he wants. And now the music news for August 30.
- This is interesting: Guitarist Dave Keuning and bass player Mark Stoermer will no longer tour with the Killers. They’re still in the band, but they won’t be going on the road anymore.
- The 2017 MTV VMAs drew the lowest TV ratings in the network’s history. That’s what you get for scheduling it opposite the finale of Game of Thrones.
- Coldplay has written a charity song for the people of Houston and southern Texas.
- Did anyone remember that according to James Cameron, Skynet became self-aware twenty years ago yesterday (2:14 am EDT, August 29, 1997)?
- Good news for American students. Amazon has slashed prices on their streaming service.
- Speaking of Amazon, if it’s busy swallowing retail, could Facebook do the same with media?
- Consumers could be in for a Golden Age of streaming video content. Here’s why.
- Looks like Sonos is getting into the smart speaker game.
- This cool app called Stagedive allows you to share your Spotify listening with friends. Neat.
- And this app allows you to put beats to your WhatsApp messages.
- This dude wants to be the first person to play the bagpipes in every country around the world. It’s good to have a dream, I guess. And his goal is slightly more ambitious than this couple’s quest to eat at every Cracker Barrel across the US.
- A roadie is suing Katy Perry because he ended up losing a toe.
- Wait: Millennials won’t use a doorbell?
- Kid Rock is getting into the restaurant business. But what constitutes “Detroit cuisine?”
- New study on podcasts and on-demand audio: listening trends younger, longer and female.
- The Best Comedy Album category has been reinstated for the Junos. It’ll be back for 2018.
- Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do” has now broken three streaming records. And the fake diamond bath in her video? If those were real diamonds, the cost would have been $10 million US.