Random Music News for Wednesday, August 9, 2017
On this day in 1965, Singapore was kicked out of Malaysia, becoming the first country to achieve independence against its will. And now, the music news for August 9.
- This guy was arrested for peeing on people at a Metallica concert in Phoenix. He claims he was drunk. Duh.
- Here’s the fascinating story of Sparkle Moore, a rockabilly star you’ve never heard of. (Via Andrew)
- Pentakill is a metal band that doesn’t exist yet made it to #1 in the UK. Here’s how.
- Two members of Pussy Riot have been detained after a protest rally for a jailed Ukranian filmmaker.
- Here’s every Reading&Leeds music festival poster ever made.
- There’s more concern about how algorithms are going to change the fundamental nature of music composition and consumption.
- Speaking of which, here’s Unifly, a DJ-helping app.
- Wondering how music royalties work in the digital age? Read this.
- Think you’re having a bad week? Look at Usher.
- Anyone watching Carpool Karaoke’s Apple spin-off?
- So how’s Phil Spector doing in prison, anyway? Well, he’s bald, for one thing.
- Looks like the iPhone 8 will have wireless charging.
- This band’s tour van was almost eaten up in a Spanish wildfire. There’s video, of course. (Via Tom)
- Audiobooks for dogs? Really? (Via Tom again)
- Gawd. ANOTHER TV talent show?
- A new book on Prince is coming–and Beyonce wrote the forward.
- Worried about fake news? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. This new technology is frightening. (And more Tom)