Published on March 22nd, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Remember this: no matter how much you hate your job, at least you’re not Sean Spicer. And now, some music news.
- HMV has entered the final weeks of their shutdown. Discounts are running as high as 60%. Some stores will close by the end of this month, with the rest shutting down by April 30.
- Here’s a nice history of the rise of Jack White’s Third Man Records.
- Anyone else notice that the Tragically Hip’s “Ahead by a Century” is the theme for the new version of Anne of Green Gables?
- Are you a Canadian musician who might be owed money by YouTube? Then go here.
- Flying direct back-and-forth to the Middle East and Africa through the US soon? Yeah, about that. Here are the airports you have to worry about.
- Not to speak ill of the dead, but parts of Chuck Berry’s past was pretty sketchy.
- Meanwhile, sales of Chuck’s music have exploded since his death was announced Saturday night.
- This is another Chuck Berry. He did NOT invent rock’n’roll.
- Kanye West was spotted wearing a Cradle of Filth t-shirt. Cradle of Filth responded.
- Big companies like Live Nation and AEG are buying up music festivals. The name of the game these days is consolidation.
- Australia is the latest country to take action against ticket scalpers.
- Hodor is now a limo driver in a music video. Honest.
- Christian music festivals? They’re a big deal, especially in the US. Just ask Mike Pence.
- Members of Prince’s band, The Revolution, share their best stories here.
- If you’re into collecting records, you’ll know about Discogs. Here’s how that site has changed things.
- Sublime is going to celebrate their 25th anniversary with a reissue and a documentary..