Random Music News for Wednesday, September 13, 2017
On this day in 1956, the IBM 305 RAMAC computer was introduced, the first machine with a hard disk drive. It had a storage capacity of 5MB(!!!) and was leased to clients for $3200 a month (more than $30,000 in today’s cash.) And now, the music news for September 13.
- Spotify now has 150 million monthly users and about 65 million paying subscribers.
- Deadmau5 just bought a new car: a McLaren 720S. Wow.
- ABBA is going on tour again–virtually, of course.
- Mark Hoppus of blink-182 is raising money to help dogs displaced by Hurricane Harvey.
- Discogs has launched new sites devoted to books, comics, films and more.
- Sinead O’Connor says many of her mental issues date back to the abuse she received from her “possessed” mother.
- This new computer interface allows you to compose melodies just by thinking them. Yes, it reads your musical thoughts.
- At some point before the end of the year, more people will be accessing the Internet through their smartphones than any other device.
- I auditioned the best-sounding earbuds ever here in Singapore. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the 1More four-driver ‘buds. Worth every dollar.
- Here comes the first of the all-star hurricane relief benefits.
- Not that I endorse sneaking vodka into a concert, but if you had to… (Via Larry)
- Interesting: U2’s “You’re the Best Thing About Me” was added to the playlist of 40 alternative stations in the US. That’s a HUGE one-week number, about triple what we saw with “The MIracle (of Joey Ramone).”
- Cool: Crate-digging for new sounds across South Africa.
- Chances are you’ve never heard Ozzy’s “Crazy Train” covered like this. (Via Greggory)
- Here’s an interesting think piece: What if digital music never happened? What if the CD had been a flop?
- Why is the richest man in China doing a Michael Jackson dance?
- Learn the name Sofi Tukker. They landed a song in an iPhone X commercial.
- And here’s another featuring the original members of KISS. Wait–what?