Given that Spotify’s biggest users are people 25 and under, it makes sense that the company conducts an annual study on the attitudes and habits of Gen Z in America. There’s plenty of fascinating information here, but let’s concentrate on just the nuggets involving music.
- 84% Gen Zers and their parents say “technology has fueled their family’s music discovery exponentially.
- 72% say that today’s kids are “light years” ahead of where they (the parents) were at their age as a result.
- 70% of Gen Zers say that listening to their parents’ music gives them a better sense of who their parents are.
- 84% of Gen Zers and their parents say that music is the way they bond together
- 54% of Gen Zers say they’re turning to podcasts more often.
- 72% of both Gen Zers and millennials say that voice technology “makes them more sentimental towards their devices.”\
- 62% like to customize the voice of their devices based on gender, accent or style.
- 25% say they listen to mental health-related podcasts
- 77% say it’s easy to feel emotionally connected to a host. Tuning in is like listening to a friend. Trustworthiness is key.
You can download the full report here.