With so many people stuck inside because the pandemic, Spotify saw some big gains in subscriber numbers. But what were they listening to? That’s the point of their annual Wrapped campaign.
- Most-streamed artist: Bad Bunny with 8.3 billion streams. Over 3.3 billion came from his YHLQMDLG album. It was also the most-streamed album of the year. The Weeknd’s After Hours was in second spot followed by Hollywood’s Bleeding from Post Malone.
- Most-streamed track: “Blinding Lights” from The Weeknd with 1.6 billion streams. Next was Tones and I’s “Dance Monkey.”
- Most-streamed female artist: Billie Eilish, followed by Tay-Tay and Ariana Grande.
- Most-popular podcast: The Joe Rogan Experience. Ted Talks Daily came next.
Because of social distancing and work-from-home situations, there was a big increase in nostalgia-themed and WFH playlists. The latter saw an increase of 1,400%. Health and wellness playlists also saw a boost as did garden-themed ones. They were up 430%. Listening to playlists designed for cleaning jumped by 40%.
There was a big jump in podcast listenership in the 18-24 demo. And the most popular time for podcast listening? Between 6 am and 9 am.
Spotify’s Black Lives Matter playlist saw more than 64 million streams. Meanwhile, users created almost 65,000 playlists around the themes “Black Lives Matter” or “BLM.”
Most Streamed Artists Globally
Most Streamed Female Artists Globally
Most Streamed Albums Globally
- YHLQMDLG, Bad Bunny
- After Hours, The Weeknd
- Hollywood’s Bleeding, Post Malone
- Fine Line, Harry Styles
- Future Nostalgia, Dua Lipa
Most Streamed Songs Globally
- “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd
- “Dance Monkey” by Tones And I
- “The Box” by Roddy Ricch
- “Roses – Imanbek Remix” by Imanbek and SAINt JHN
- “Don’t Start Now” by Dua Lipa
Most Popular Podcasts Globally
Most Popular Podcast Genres Globally