A music research firm called MusicWatch has released a study of young vinyl buyers in the US (i.e born 1989 or later). The results are interesting. “The new generation of vinyl buyers are serious, dedicated, and valuable customers – just like their predecessors.”
- 80% of them have started buying vinyl in the last five years
- 37% buy it to just display
- 78% say they buy vinyl so they can actually play the records.
- Vinyl releases from current artists are the biggest sellers.
- Alternative, hip hop and classic rock are their favourite genres.
- A full third of these fans buy vinyl with the intent of supporting their favourite artists. They believe that it’s important to do more than just listen to their music; buying product like vinyl is a way of helping out in a more meaningful way.
- Audio quality? Not so much–at least compared to things like packaging and liner notes.
- At the same time, more than half of these buyers say that they’re planning to upgrade their audio equipment in the next 12 months.
The full report can be found here.