Music Canada, the organization that represents the interests of this country’s recorded music industry, recently conducted a survey on how musicians and fans have been weathering the COVID-19 pandemic. The results are now in.
- 85% of us believe that the pandemic is going to have a negative impact on Canadian arts and culture.
- We realize that live gigs and music festivals have been impacted so severely that government support will be needed in the recovery.
- Half of us think that our favourite live music venue will shut down forever because of the pandemic.
- We understand that if venues and festivals disappear, many thousands of jobs will also disappear. The result will be that less Canadian music will be created.
- However, on the positive side, if venues and festivals can get through the pandemic, most of us plan to return to seeing live music as soon as possible.
Let’s look at a few graphics.
You can read the full study results here.