When Taylor Swift Eras tour didn’t include any Canadian dates, there was much weeping, despair, hurt, and anger. There was a call for a government grievance in Alberta. Even the Prime Minister appealed to Tay-Tay to reconsider skipping Canada.
All is forgiven now, apparently, because Taylor is going to hold a stadium-sized residency at the Rogers Centre in Toronto in November 2024 will include six–SIX!– shows.
The official capacity for baseball of the building is just under 50,000. Include floor admission and you can stuff somewhere north of 60,000 people. Six shows means attendance of 360,000. That’s slightly less than the population of London, Ontario. The box office gross will be…unimaginable.
To make this possible, the Rogers Centre will be all Taylor’s for a two-week period to accommodate load-in, the shows, and load-out. The gig dates are November 14, 15, 16, 21, 22 and 23. Verified fans can chose two shows for which to buy tickets. That’s it. And according to reader Grant you can’t rank the shows in the order you’d like to attend.
Still, that’s a whole lot of Tay-Tay.
Why would she put all her eggs in one Canadian basket?
- It ties in with the final leg of the tour, which is a swing through North America encompassing Miami, New Orleans, and Indianapolis.
- This tour is only playing stadiums. Outside of BC Place, there’s no indoor venue big enough anywhere else in the country.
- Toronto is better situated than Vancouver when it comes to an available surrounding population. Promoters might also believe that Vancouverites got their chance to see her when she played Seattle last month.
- A residency this big increases the margins and profits. Instead of traveling from city to city, you set up shop in one town and have fans come to you.
- The Rogers Centre isn’t exactly a busy place in November. Even if the Blue Jays mount a playoff run next season, the playoffs will be long over. Meanwhile, the Argos have long since moved out to BMO Field.
- The stadium is scheduled to undergo more renovations this fall, which probably made it unavailable for booking throughout the winter of 2023-24. Everything will be in place by November 2024.
Several things are certain:
- That two weeks will bring an insane amount of tourist money into the city.
- Traffic will be a nightmare.
- Taylor Fever will be inescapable and unbearable.