Around this time every year, the CRTC releases a report on the financial health of Canada’s private broadcasters. Here’s an executive summary of how my industry is doing these days. (All figures are for the period ending December 31, 2015.)
- Number of commercial (i.e. ad-supported) radio stations in Canada: 704 (13 new stations signed on). 508 are FM and 124 are AM.
- The number of people employed: 9.500, down 3.4% from a year earlier.
- Total revenue: $1.6 billion, down $11.6 million from 2014 (-0.7%)
- Total expenses: $1.3 billion, a 1.1% decrease from the previous year.
- Average operating margin: 18.9%, up from 18.5% last year.
- Local advertising: Down 2.2%
- National advertising: Up 2.3%
- Revenue from FM radio stations: $1.32 billion, down $6,7 billion from 2014.
For more numbers, go to FYI Music News.