Yep, it’s “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke.  More than 20 universities across the UK have banned the song from being played on campus.  A video service called SubTV, which has feeds into 100 universities and colleges, has stopped playing the song.

The fear is that the song glamourizes rape.  Here’s a statement from the Students Guild at the University of Exeter:

A song that implies a woman is ‘an animal’ and who ‘wants it’ because of the way she is dressed is not acceptable. The language within the lyrics and the images within the promotional video are utterly degrading to the female subject. Any song that expresses an author’s frustration at ‘being sick of blurred lines’ is beyond unacceptable.

With the lawsuit, the counter-lawsuit and now this, the whole “Blurred Lines” controversy just keeps getting more and more interesting.

(Via The Telegraph)

Juliette Jagger

Juliette Jagger is a Canadian music journalist. She is on Twitter @juliettejagger.

3 thoughts on “The Fastest-Selling Digital Song in History Banned at Universities for Promoting Rape

• November 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Might not be the right attitude but, well, that song is horrid on a number of levels but simply put, misogyny should not be glamorized.

This goes against my anti-censorship ideals but frankly, I'd rather fight that battle over good music.

• November 6, 2013 at 4:09 pm

What Kerry said above. The first time I heard it, I was sick in a traffic jam and not really paying attention, but I remember rolling my eyes and thinking, "ugh, smug bastards with money behind them. " It seems to be popular because they sound like they're having a good time being jerks, so people think of it as a party song, and they don't pay full attention to it.

I'd rather it didn't get played because it's a crap song, which it is, and which circumvents the censorship thing.

• November 6, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I read a great counter article that looks at the lyrics and notes that the narrator of the song is trying to convince the girl to abandon a controlling, possibly abusive relationship to be with him instead, who would let her be free and wild.

It's not a perfect defense. The "I know you want it" line is a rape culture norm, but it did give me a different perspective on the song.