Do you listen to podcasts? Of course you do. You’ve got your favourites, your routines, and your habits. But what about the rest of Canada?
SignalHill Insights, together with The Podcast Exchange and Ulster Media, have just published the spring 2020 update of The Canadian Podcast Listener. They did a brief online study, quizzing 590 podcast listeners over the age of 18 on May 27 and 28.
Here’s an executive summary/
- Canadians use YouTube more than any other platform when it comes to accessing podcasts (40%). iTunes/Apple Podcasts is second (23%) and Spotify is third (21%). Another 15% listen from the site where the podcast is hosted while 13% listen from the app or website of a specific radio station (e.g. the RadioPlayer Canada app; iHeart Radio accounts for 5% of podcast listening).
- Why is YouTube listening so high? The coronavirus lockdown. People are using laptops and desktops more for podcasts while sheltering at home.
- Apple and Spotify are in a dogfight for second and third place.
- However, when it comes to people between 18 and 34, the favourite platform is Spotify with 30% to Apple Podcasts’s 28%.
- Men are more likely to use YouTube for podcasts than women.
- Women are slightly more likely to listen to podcasts through Spotify than men.
- 8% of Canadians say they’ve listened to or watched an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience. Wow.