The nominees for The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class of 2023 are…
The nominations for the latest round of inductees into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced today. To be eligible, it has to have been 25 years since the act’s debut album.
Voting begins now on the following (along with any supportive/snarky comments from me):
- Kate Bush: Yes. Absolutely. The whole Stranger Things episode last year underscores here importance.
- Sheryl Crow: Um, really? I mean I think she’s a fine songwriter and performer, but RnR Hall of Fame material?
- Missy Elliott: The Hall has been open to inducting hip-hop artists for year. Missy shouldn’t be left out.
- Iron Maiden: Duh.
- Joy Division/New Order: Again, duh. But will American voters–and that’s who were talking about here–go for them?
- Cyndi Lauper: Same comments as Sheryl Crow above.
- George Michael: Because nothing says “rock and roll” like George Michael, huh?
- Willie Nelson: Is because he can out-smoke any rocker or rapper? Is that the criteria now?
- Rage Against the Machine: Duh for a third time.
- Soundgarden: And a fourth…
- The Spinners: An important R&B/pop band from back in the day, so…maybe?
- A Tribe Called Quest: Okay with me.
- The White Stripes: Maybe not this time given the competition, but their day will come.
- Warren Zevon: A great songwriter. Was he nominated because this year marks the 20th anniversary of his death?
There is a fan voting component. If that’s your jam, go here.
2 thoughts on “The nominees for The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class of 2023 are…”
1: They should change the name to something like “The American Music Hall of Fame” so people stop losing their minds every year when non-rock performers are brought in
2: Joy Division/New Order … 2 different bands but I get it. Issue is, with other people get it? The amount of influence both bands have over too many to count other bands is insane. They should get in on that alone.
3: A Tribe Called Quest – seeing the past history of other hip hop acts going in, they should totally be included, more so than Missy Elliot at this time who was more poppy.
4: The White Stripes? I can’t believe its been that long
5: Willie Nelson – He is fine, but are we entering the stage where they need to do one legacy country act per year now?
How about the Guess Who, BTO, the Tragically Hip.. should be called American Music Hall of Fame.