[Christmas break time. We’ll be back to new episodes in January. -AC]
I’m always looking for new ways to explore the world of alt-rock, so I’m trying a slightly different tack with this episode. While Bruce Springsteen is a long way off from the alternative universe, he has had a surprising impact on our music. This show names names and illustrates how far that influences has actually gone.
Songs on this program include:
U2, Pride in the Name of Love (Live)
Keep the Car Running (Live)/Arcade Fire
The Ghost of Tom Joad/Rage Against the Machine
The ’59 Sound/Gaslight Anthem
The Hold Steady/Stay Positive
Betterman (Live)/Eddie Vedder and Bruce Springsteen
Fortunate Son (Live)/Dave Grohl, Bruce Springsteen, Zack Brown
Killers, When You Were Young
If you’d like to listen along, here’s the playlist created by Eric Wilhite.
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday night at 7
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- Power 97/Winnipeg (Sunday nights at 11)
- Rock 97.7/Grand Prairie – Sunday nights at 6.
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver
- WAPS/WKTL The Summit/Arkon, Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown The show runs at 11 am Sunday. This, by the way, is a great option for American listeners who are prevented from listening to the show live because of geo-blocking,
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Calgary, Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.
If you ever miss a show, you can always get the podcast edition available through Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your on-demand audio.