All change, all evolution, all revolution in music comes from the street. It’s up to indie musicians, indie labels and the people who believe in them to propel our music forward. This is the way it’s always been since the beginning of rock. “The History of Indie Rock” is a four-part Ongoing History series that seeks to give credit where credit is due and to help explain how our music got to where it is today. Part two of the series will deal with what happened in the indie alt-rock world in the late 70s and early 80s. For all of you asking for me to talk about hardcore, there’s plenty here for you.
Songs featured on this week’s show:
Theadora Kelly Project, “Indie Hipster Kid”
Joy Division, “Digital”
M|A|R|R|S, “Pump Up the Volume”
My Bloody Valentine, “Soon”
Primal Scream, “Velocity Girl”
The Smiths, “This Charming Man” (NY Vocal)
Black Flag, “Wasted”
Bad Religion, “Bad Religion”
Dead Kennedys, “California Uber Alles”
Here’s Eric Wilhite’s playlist for the show.
Don’t forget that you can get the podcast version of this podcast through iTunes or wherever you get your on-demand audio.
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday night at 7
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- Power 97/Winnipeg (Sunday nights at 11)
- Rock 97.7/Grand Prairie – Sunday nights at 6.
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver
- Live 105/Halifax
- WAPS/WKTL The Summit/Arkon, Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown The show runs at 11 am Sunday. This, by the way, is a great option for American listeners who are prevented from listening to the show live because of geo-blocking,
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Calgary, Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.